Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

How to extract and display .mkv subtitles to a Samsung LED TV

We recently bought a new LED TV. It was a Samsung Smart LED TV model UA40D5500RR. I believe this is the cheapest Samsung Smart TV. I really enjoy watching series and anime and the best thing I like about this TV is the Allshare capability. You can stream your movies/videos/music wireless through your home network and recently I had a problem showing subtitles from some of my .mkv files since our TV cannot decode the subtitle embedded into a .mkv video.

The real problem .mkv subtitles are not supported by our TV but now I found a solution how to show those subtitles

Required programs
1. MKVtoolnix (installer)
2. MKVextract (just place this on your MKVtoolnix's directory)
3. VobSub Subtitle Converter (installer)


How to do it:

1. Extract the subtitle from your .mkv video

Open MKVextract
Click "..."
Choose the video file
Output directory
Click "Extract"



2. Extracted subtitle will be saved as ".ass" 

3. Open the extracted ".ass" subtitle using VobSub subtitle converter (subresync.exe)




4. Save it as ".smi" subtitle or you may save it as ".srt" also but in case it didn't work, save it as .smi

5. Rename your converted subtitle (subtitle and the video must have same file name)

6. Refresh your Allshare Server or place your video file on a flash drive and plug it on your TV's USB port

*subtitles can now be seen!

Note :
Probably .srt subtitle will work in some .mkv file but others do not. Use this if subtitles show in your PC/Laptop but not in you Samsung Smart TV.
This is a long method but this works for me.

(Updated May 22, 2013, since some links do not work already)
.

8 comments:

  1. I can't choose .msi format, when I'm converting subtitles... any advices?

    Jacek from Poland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi! try to to convert to other subtitle format first then try again to convert to .msi

      or you can email the subtitle file to me and i'll try to convert it to you

      Delete
  2. I tried but it doesn't works... I'm not shure about one thing. It must be .msi or .smi format? I have to choose only this witch are on picture up... (last one picture). Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used this to extract subtitles from one episode of a single show. It's worked, as you've said, but now no shows on my entire harddrive have subtitles anymore, even though I haven't extracted the subtitles from them. Literally terabytes of shows have lost their subtitles. Any idea what is happening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I should add, the subtitles for every show must exist somewhere, because when I use a program (Freemake) to convert from mkv to mp4, it still allows me to choose a subtitle track. It's just that when I play it with my normal media player (Media Player Classic (CCCP)), subtitles don't work even though I have the subtitle track turned on.

      Delete
    2. As far as I know mkvextract do only extract video, sound or subtitles and does not delete nor remove a part of a file. probably it the player, try reinstalling it, cause i had issues before also on subtitles using MPC.

      Delete
  4. I highly recommend Avdshare Video Converter
    can easily convert MKV to Samsung TV with only three clicks: import the MKV files, set the output format, and start to convert.You can get it at http://www.avdshare.com/mkv-to-samsung-tv-converter

    ReplyDelete